The Jindal Global Law School (JGLS) has taken an extraordinary initiative to appoint ten distinguished Senior Advocates of the Supreme Court as Honorary Adjunct Professors of Law and Distinguished Professors of Legal Practice.
Each Honorary Adjunct Professor will teach a 1-credit course on an advanced area of law and legal practice. The courses will be held online from 5th September 2020 onwards, for two hours every weekend for 8 weeks and will be open only for the graduating batch of 2021.
The Senior Advocates who will be joining the JGLS are:
1. Mr. Gourab Banerji, Senior Advocate, Supreme Court (M.A. (Cambridge), Barrister at Law)— He will teach Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards in India
2. Mr. Sidharth Luthra, Senior Advocate, Supreme Court (LL.B. (Delhi); MPhil. (Cambridge))— He will teach Policing to Prison--And the Gaps Within
3. Mr. Gaurav Pachnanda, Senior Advocate, Supreme Court (BCL (Oxford); LL.B. (Jammu))— He will teach Law and Practice of Commercial Litigation and Arbitration in India
4. Mr. Mohan Parasaran, Senior Advocate, Supreme Court (LL.B. (Delhi); LL.M. (Cambridge))— He will teach Equality - A Basic Feature Permeating throughout the Constitution
5. Mr. Sajan Poovayya, Senior Advocate, Supreme Court (B.A., LL.B. (NLSIU); LL.M. (LSE))— He will teach IT Law and Data Protection
6. Mr. Ritin Rai, Senior Advocate, Supreme Court (LL.B. (Delhi), BCL (Oxford); LL.M. (Harvard))— He will teach Commercial Dispute Practice in Specialized Tribunals: IBC—A Case Study
7. Dr. Surat Singh, Senior Advocate, Supreme Court (LL.B. & LL.M. (Delhi), BCL (Oxford), SJD (Harvard))— He will teach Lawyering in the Supreme Court
8. Dr. Abhishek Manu Singhvi, Senior Advocate, Supreme Court (M.A., Ph.D. (Cambridge), PIL (Harvard))— He will teach Constitutional Jurisprudence in Supreme Court Litigation
9. Mr. Parag Tripathi, Senior Advocate, Supreme Court of India (LL.B. (Delhi); LL.M. (Harvard)) & Ms. Neelima Tripathi, Advocate, Supreme Court of India (LL.B. (Delhi))— They will teach Indian Supreme Court as a Constitutional Court: Law and Practice
10. Mr. R. Venkataramani, Senior Advocate, Supreme Court— He will teach Supreme Court and Practice: Constitutional, Appellate & Other Jurisdictions
The move is part of its path breaking initiative under the aegis of the LEAD Programme (Lawyering Excellence for Advocacy Development) which aims at providing inspiring outstanding law students through teaching and learning experiences led by distinguished legal practitioners, that will help them consider joining the legal profession with a special focus on litigation.
The vision of the LEAD Programme, Professor (Dr.) C. Raj Kumar, Founding Vice Chancellor, O.P. Jindal Global University and Dean, Jindal Global Law School said was to "identify some of the most outstanding members of the legal profession to teach a course to the senior students of law, with a view to educating and inspiring them. The larger purpose of this effort is to instill in the minds of budding lawyers an imagination to become part of the legal profession with a stronger focus on legal practice and litigation."
Professor (Dr.) Sreejith S.G., Professor of Law and Executive Dean, Jindal Global Law School explained that the reason for limiting the courses by the Senior Counsels to the graduating batch is that "students take these course at a stage when their knowledge of substantive law, which can be obtained in a law school framework, is at its maximum."