The Principal Bench of the National Green Tribunal directed Godrej, BBMP (Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike) and other concerned authorities to act upon the report filed by the Joint Committee regarding the residential apartment project in Kasavanahalli Village, Bengaluru District.
The said residential project is alleged to be in the prohibited area of the buffer zone of the Kainkondrahalli lake and the Raja Kaluve (stormwater drains) crossing the project land.
The Original Application No. 602/2019 was filed against the violation of the environmental norms by the Wonder Projects Development Pvt. Ltd. and Godrej Properties Ltd. on account of the high rise residential apartment project in Kasacanahalli Village, Bengaluru District.
The Tribunal considered the matter on 19.07.2019 and ordered for a factual and action report to be furnished by the Joint Committee representing the Central PCB, Karnataka State Environment Impact Assessment Authority (SEIAA), Karnataka SPCB, Wonder Projects Development Pvt. Ltd. and Godrej Properties Ltd. The Karnataka SPCB was appointed as the nodal agency for coordination and compliance.
Accordingly, the Joint Committee filed its report through Karnataka SPCB on 23.09.2019. The report referred to a survey report submitted by the Department of Survey to the State PCB on 11.02.2019.
The report listed out the activities in the existing properties in Kaikondrahalli Lake buffer area and violation. It was observed that Godrej by name of Wonder Projects Development Pvt. Ltd obtained Environmental Clearance by SEIAA and consent for the establishment from KSPCB. Further, the report said that the same will be inspected by the Joint Committee and separate report regarding it to be submitted by the committee.
Following observations and suggestions were also made by the Joint Committee in the said report:
- There are three main feeder drains to the Kainkondrahalli Lake, one on the south Eastern side, second on the Western side and third one towards Southern Side of the lake. The total lake area is 48 acres 23 Guntas.
- The Lake is rejuvenated jointly by BBMP & MPSMAS in the year 2011 with two sewage diversion lines to restrict & stop the entry of untreated sewage, one on the western side and another from the southern side towards east. The manhole champers provided in the diversion line i.e. from southern to eastern side was found overflowing and untreated sewage is entering the lake. Other than this, there is no sewage entry into the lake as the diversion pipeline provided towards the eastern and western sides of the lake. BWSSB has to clear the diversion line to avoid the overflowing of sewage from the manhole into the Lake and plan to have a terminal Sewage Treatment Plant to treat the entire sewage and only to allow the stormwater to the lake through the wetland.
- BBMP (Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike) stormwater drain, Mahadevapura zone marked the drain area which is originating from Kasavanahalli road to the lake from eastern side and work pertaining to the restoration of the drain is in progress.
- BESCOM authorities have disconnected the power supply to residential houses in Sy No. 71/1,71/2,72/2,72/1,72/2,74/5B and 73 of Kasavanahalli Village, Varthur Hobli, Bengaluru East Taluk, Bengaluru urban district.
- The residential sheet houses constructed at Sy No. 72/2 coming under the lake buffer are demolished. But, residential houses constructed in Sy No. 73 still exist, the same need to be removed. Vacant area of the Sy No. 71/2 & 72/2 adjoining to the lake is being filled with new soil for leveling.
- Sy No. 71/2: The land adjoining to the lake is being used for solid waste segregation by BBMP, the same need to be stopped and segregation of waste are to be done at the generation and collection point itself. The dumping and segregation of solid waste at the lake belt to be stopped and cleared.
- Sy No. 39: The land adjoining to the lake is being used for dumping of C & D waste, BBMP shall be directed to take appropriate steps to clear the same.
- The temporary labour sheds constructed and existing in Sy No. 40 need to be verified by the BBMP whether the sheds are within Lake Buffer or not and to take appropriate action.
- The concern authorities shall be directed to take appropriate action to clear the violations/encroachment noticed in the existing properties & activities in the buffer area."
While disposing of the application the Tribunal ordered the concerned authorities to act upon the above-said report submitted by the Joint Committee.